Saturday, October 8, 2016

Two American Sisters Found Dead in Seychelles



Facebook pictures posted just days before the bodies of Annie and Robin Korkki were found in their hotel room show the sisters, ages 37 and 42, respectively, enjoying life, surrounded by paradisiacal scenery.

According to the Seychelles Nation newspaper, the two women were found unresponsive in their room at the Maia Luxury Resort on September 22, 2016.  Local authorities found no indications of trauma on their bodies.  And the cause of the deaths has been determined to be acute pulmonary edema.

Those that suffer pulmonary edema find it difficult to breathe due to excess fluid in the lungs.  Mayo Clinic suggests that issues with the heart is the primary cause for this condition, though pneumonia, exposure to toxins, medication, trauma, and even exercise could be culprits as well.

Acute pulmonary edema strikes suddenly and must be treated immediately with supplemental oxygen and medication to avoid succumbing to the condition.

This is quite a tragic story with seemingly no concrete answers as of yet.

From The Epoch Times:

Items of interest found in the Korkkis’ room includes alcohol and different types of medications,” Toussaint told the news outlet. “No illegal drugs were found in the sisters’ room.”
Annie, 37, and her sister Robin, 42, traveled to Seychelles, an island located more than 900 miles off Africa’s east coast in the Indian Ocean on Sept. 15 and were scheduled to leave on Sept. 24, they had extended their trip. 
The pair were found unresponsive in their villa at the Maia Luxury Resort and Spa on Sept. 22. A butler assigned to their room contacted authorities after he noticed no movement in their room during the entire day. The sisters had been drinking on Wednesday—and it would be the last time anyone would see them alive.
Autopsies determined that the two Minnesota natives died from acute pulmonary edema. Their bodies showed no visible signs of trauma. Dr. Patrick Lank, a Northwestern Medicine assistant professor of emergency medicine in Chicago said many factors can contribute to an acute pulmonary edema.
“Two people at the same time is odd,” Lank said. “It suggests more of a toxicologic or environmental cause, or a potential infection if they’re traveling together.”
The sudden deaths of the sisters have shocked the Korkki family who have said they haven’t been given many details about the deaths of their loved ones. 
“At this point, the only details we know are the articles flying around online,” brother Chris Korkki told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “My mom has been talking with people from the U.S. Embassy. I don’t think they’ve provided her with any information.”
He added, “Two things keep going through my mind: This isn’t happening, and we just want answers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment